Labour for labour
As millions of ordinary people struggle, while the wealthiest rake it in, Labour’s choice is simple – back the workers, or back the bosses. The Labour Party was founded by trade unions, and workers remain the beating heart of our movement. We don’t need picket line bans or below-inflation payrises – we need a labour movement standing united.
We know that both the Labour membership and the public back the workers. That’s why we’re launching a campaign to push Starmer to mandate frontbench MPs to attend picket lines and fully back striking workers and their demands for inflation-proof pay-rises. We can deliver a clear instruction to Starmer at Labour Conference, and help shift Labour’s position. Here’s what you can do to support the campaign.
What you can do
- Join your regional Labour4labour Whatsapp group – once you are in the group, organise to get down to picket lines with others in your region. Share the link with anyone you think might be interested – they don’t have to be a Momentum member. Sign up to the campaign below or check your emails to receive the invite links to the chats.
- Get down to the picket line – once you’ve found a group of Momentum members in your region and a nearby strike, organise a trip to the picket line and support the striking workers. Take a picture at the picket and post it into the regional Whatsapp group with the hashtag #Labour4labour and we’ll tweet it to help put pressure on Starmer.
- Organise your own Strike Solidarity Event – get together with your local Momentum group and organise your own Strike Solidarity Event. Here is our Strike Solidarity resource, which gives you step by step guidance on how to run an event. If you don’t have a local group – organise one with your new people you met on the picket! If you’re thinking of running a meeting get in touch with [email protected] and we will link you up with experienced Momentum members who can mentor you.
- Donate to our Labour for Labour fundraiser – we’re raising £15,000 in advance of Labour Party Conference to maximise our delegate operation to win crunch votes, organise rallies and paint Liverpool red with the Labour for labour message. You can make a donation here to help us turn the tide and put Labour back where it belongs: on the side of working-class people.
- Pass a motion through your CLP in support of striking workers – in order to win this campaign, we need to pass this motion through as many CLPs as possible. Organise as part of your Momentum group or with your new comrades to pass this motion through your CLP. If your CLP hasn’t passed a motion for this year’s Labour Conference yet, then use this one, if your CLP has, submit it as a regular motion. Once you have passed the motion, please let us know by filling out our Conference survey.
- Use our lobbying tool and set up a meeting with your MP – if you have a Labour MP email them directly to request a meeting, where you can ask them to attend the picket lines with you and other members. If you don’t, you can email Keir Starmer directly.